Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Working it with new shoes.

I've run 5ish miles the past two mornings and it has gone just fine, except last night and this morning the old hip pain is back with a vengeance.

I saw my doc yesterday and she said pretty much all knee and hip running injuries women experience can be attributed to shoes. Shoes! Dammit, I thought I was being so good getting new shoes and rotating three different pairs. But if the shoe itself isn't quite right, three pairs rotating ain't gonna do a bit of good.

So, she recommended a particular shoe guy at a particular running store and I went to see him yesterday afternoon.

By yesterday evening, I walked outta that place two pairs of shoes, one sports bra and three pairs of socks richer. He showed me lots of good stretches and said the following: you are crazy; you are determined; there will be other marathons; I'm surprised you don't have more problems than you do; it probably was that sand that did you in.

Good God.

I still want to run that friggin' marathon, though. But my goal is to finish and to finish strong. If this means walking parts, so be it.

As I've come to realize, I will do everything in my power not to let any damn thing break me. To hell with what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. . . .

I'm all for learning to be gentle with myself. Because if I'm not, who will be?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home