Sunday, August 28, 2005

Returning.

I meant to run this morning, but it didn't happen. My hip is largely better, but still twinging a little. Nothing like it was mere days ago. I attribute this healing to some astounding meditating I've been doing that really makes a hell of a lot of sense.

Here's what happened: I was doing some of the guided breathing meditations I've been talking about when a new one came up. Breathe in, then on the exhale smile, and send the smile to a particular part of the body. So I did this for my right hip. Over and over again. I sent healing goodness to my aching hip. Next morning when I woke up, I was damned near healed.

But doesn't this make perfect sense? When the hip started to ache, I got frustrated. Then fearful. Then angry. Then pissed off. The more time I took off from running, the more I resented my hip for asking me to slow down. I was sending that crappy, mean, furious energy straight into that hip. Why wouldn't it respond with deeper, shooting pain? Then when I sent love and healing, it responded in kind. Thank you very much.

It occurs to me that this little exercise has great implications for other demons of mine. Especially my nagging self-hatred of particular areas of my body, a.k.a. "the wobbly bits." I have been fully convinced for years that many cancers arise out of this self hatred, particularly with women and breast cancer and with sexual abuse survivors and cervical cancer, etc. I believe we create illness, and now I am fully convinced we can create wellness. How fabulous!

So, I've decided to start sending "smiles" to my wobbly bits.

I've been re-reading old writing books I read when I was a teenager, and it's inspiring to read the passages I highlighted back then. One book in particular, "Writing from the Body," is full of great stuff that I've finally been discovering for myself this summer. It all seems to be the same work for me, at different stages of the game. But the upshot is I feel like I'm liberating myself, allowing myself to free the wild creativity inside, the messy, colorful stuff that hides behind my blazers and reporter's notebooks. . . .

It's all about returning to self. Fascinating.

And one of these days I'll return to running. . . .

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This itself is the whole of the journey, opening your heart to that which is lovely. Because of their feeling for the lovely, beings who are afraid of birth and death, aging and decaying, are freed from their fear. This is the way you must train yourself: I will become your friend and an intimate of the lovely. To do this I must closely observe and embrace all states of mind that are good.

12:25 PM  
Blogger divine m said...

Hmmmm . . . yes.

But this blows my mind a little, because it requires a redefinition and invitation of "that which is lovely."

Plus I'm still working out the connection between "states of mind" and "states of body."

I'm getting closer . . . they are one and the same. . . .

2:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The greatest support we can have is mindfulness, which means being totally present in each moment. If the mind remains centered, it cannot make up stories about the injustice of the world or one's friends, or about one's desires or sorrows. All these stories could fill many volumes, but when we are mindful such verbalizations stop. Being mindful means being fully absorbed in the moment, leaving no room for anything else. We are filled with the momentary happening, whatever it is--standing or sitting or lying down, feeling pleasure or pain--and we maintain a nonjudgmental awareness, a "just knowing."

7:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who is this s.n. writer? Careepee! and too much goble de gook.

12:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home