Wednesday, August 24, 2005

My baffling hip. And other nuisances.

Last night my hip was really pissed off. This morning it let me know it was still unhappy.

Then I met with TTT, did our workout and an hour and 10 minutes on the ARC and it feels much, much better. It seems that moving it is a good thing, but then again, the running yesterday seemed to worsen things. What are you saying, hip?

This is where I realize that a conscious relationship with one's body can be much like a dysfunctional relationship with a human being. Hard to tell when the truth is being told, or when mind games are being played, when the pain is self-generated or what. Thing is, I really, really want to run this marathon. I could rest the hip, but for how long? And will that mean I can't run the race?

My idea now is to run fewer times per week, but keep up the mileage best I can; and do more cross training, since the low-impact cardio I've been doing in the form of DVD workouts and the ARC machine seem to be relatively fine.

I'll also keep praying for a miracle: that my hip be completely healed.

I also have started to wonder if the Glucosamine Chondroitin supplements I started two and a half weeks ago aren't somehow inflaming my joints. I think I'll stop taking it and see what happens.

Last night I met all kinds of people in the new program, and they all seem nice, interesting and outgoing, especially for a group of writers. You just never know. The teaching situation is sorted: I'll be teaching Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday mornings and taking classes Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday nights. I have a student ID but no parking tag, and I'm finally, truly looking forward to the very busy and exciting months ahead. I still have to draft a syllabus by tomorrow morning, not to mention file three stories for the paper. . . .

By the way, anybody heard of any fabulous restaurants that must be tried in the SF Bay area? Sid, Carlos and I will be headed there come November, and while Sid's done a marvelous job researching joints online, I always feel better with a personal recommendation or at least an independent review or two. . . .

Merci beaucoup!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This body is not yours, nor does it belong to others. It should be seen as the product of the whole of history. In regard to it the wise person will reflect on the nature of conditioning, saying: If this comes into being, that will arise; if this does not come into being, that will not arise.

8:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home