Sunday, August 21, 2005

Ahh, Sunday!

How I love Sundays. Especially a clear, breezy, 80ish Michigan summer Sunday on the lake.

I'm still resting the hip. And stretching periodically throughout the day. That seems to help. I'm thinking I'll lace up and head out either tonight or tomorrow morning. See how it goes.

After breakfast, CBS Sunday Morning, NYT, phone calls, some post card writing, I went back to the kitchen; and, the theme is green today, thanks to my garden!

I made a green goddess salad dressing out of fresh basil, avocado, yogurt, lime juice, garlic and olive oil; curried zucchini soup; and a savory zucchini bread. The bread is pretty much disastrous--like soup on the inside. This probably has something to do with the recipe calling for one medium-sized grated zucchini, and the zucchini I plucked from the garden seemed medium sized, but only compared to the baseball-bat-sized ones growing next to it. I'm putting the bread back in the oven for a while, and if it still slides out of the pan into a pancake shape on the counter, I'll scoop out the insides and make little biscuits out of that mess. What actually has cooked smells fab, so I'd hate to throw out all that good stuff. I guess with all the cooking I've been doing, one less-than-perfect dish ain't bad.

Last night I downloaded a series of guided meditations by Thich Nhat Hanh from iTunes. Oh how I love iTunes! The meditations are less guided imagery and more random bell chimes, but I dig it. Mindfulness, here I come!

I have mild hopes of working on my new syllabus and a story for the paper before the day's end, but I've instituted a no-crap zone in my life on Sundays. From here on out, Sundays are mine, mine, mine. I won't schedule or plan to do anything that isn't perfectly rejuvenating for Sundays. With this summer of retreat I've decided I need more retreat more often throughout my life, and Sundays are it. One day a week of pure calm, pure bliss, pure me time.

I like it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Keep it Holy." You're doing it, all right, honoring the universe and everything in it. Thereby, honoring yourself.

I especially love your attitude about cooking. If it doesn't turn out just so, rather than getting pissed, let's see what we can do to rescue it, or at last salvage something useful from it.

You are a Pure D inspiration to me.

Thank you.

3:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The mindfulness of in and out breathing, of body contemplation, of keeping consciousness of the moment, is a noble occupation and a sublime way, leading to independence of mind and to wisdom.

-Samyutta Nikaya

4:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home