Saturday, July 16, 2005

What does one do

on a day off from running?

In my case, eat. I'm not sure why I'm particularly ravenous on my rest days but I am. Or maybe I was simply around all sorts of delicious things today, so it made me more conscious and anxious about food.

Started the day off with a mahvelous breakfast of oats, berries, almonds, cottage cheese. Then headed off to the farmer's market where I enjoyed the bounty that comes from Michigan's fruit belt in the summer. Made off with cherries, baby cucumbers, patty pan squash, currants, black raspberries and lovely ripe apricots that rival those I frequently bought from the farmer's market in San Francisco. I didn't think I'd ever taste such perfection again. But these people here know how to do fruit. I also picked up some thyme and sage to plant in the garden and a splendid bouquet of coral colored gladiolas.

Made my way to Marshall Field's to monitor the sale price of a muted green, strapless, knee-length dress with a black ribbon belt and black tulle I've had my eye on to wear to a friend's wedding in August. Tried it on for fun. Still $109, waiting for it to drop to $35. No one can possibly wear this dress but me, I've decided, so who will buy it but me?

Had a salad lunch at Panera, an afternoon veggie and cottage cheese dip snack, turkey burrito for din-din and sugar-free butter pecan ice cream for dessert. Now I just had a cup of tea and feel ready for bed.

More thunderstorms throughout the day have added to my lazy day. I feel weird about not doing any exercise at all. Wednesday was a rest day from running, but I had a gym workout. I think it's good to have a true rest day, but I'm thinking of heading off on my bike when the rain stops. I guess my body's used to moving.

I did take the down time to chat with my beloveds afar. All in all it's been a perfect rest day. I'm sure I'll be even more grateful for the time off once I'm into my 14 miles tomorrow. I'll admit I feel anxious about it. I have never run so far. Ever.

It'll be another first. Good thing I've rested up.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Panera Bread and Marshall Field's. Perhaps this "zoo" is more interesting than I originally perceived.

11:23 AM  
Blogger divine m said...

And those aren't even the interesting places, Carlos!

There's a 5K for the Humane Society on the 30th. You interested in coming and checking out the 'zoo for yourself?

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home