Thursday, July 14, 2005

3 mile-ish

I didn't want to wake up and run this morning. Poop. I guess there will be days like this, whether the cause may be hormones, the heat, whatever.

But I pushed on through.

Let me take a moment here to acknowledge how fun it is to have a blog and make myself the hero of it every dang day. No wonder everybody's doing it!

Anywho, back to the run. I had an 11 a.m. phone interview scheduled, so as I lazed in bed until 10, I knew I had to get up and lace up. I toyed with the idea of putting off the run until later in the day or this evening, but I intelligently talked myself out of that. I knew the heat and the general malaise toward movement that tends to develop as the day wears on would make it likely I won't run if I don't do it first thing.

Once I got out there and heard the first notes of "Vertigo" on my ipod, I was off. It was so fine that I even added an extra loop around the block--nearly half a mile, I think. I still came in under 27 minutes. By the end of this I hope to be running a 5K in 21 minutes.

Breakfast of cottage cheese and fruit, interviews, put in a load of laundry, and then into the lake! Did a hard swim for 15 minutes. I'll try to increase the time little by little. It's such a different exercise--harder than running in some ways. Just tires you out in a different way. And the triathlon starts with the swim, so I need to build my endurance and learn how to pace myself.

Have I mentioned lately how much I love summer? How we spend our days is how we spend our lives. My day-to-day life right now is absolutely ideal. I mean, can you beat a lifestyle in which the biggest dilemmas are which bathing suit to wear, which fruit to eat and which book to spend the afternoon reading?

I am in retreat, but building something. . . .

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

THe picture you painted of a lovely summer afternoon rang so true, I could smell the sweet air.

3:00 PM  
Blogger Sid said...

Ditto anon. Oh, to be by the lake!

4:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home